Monday 5 March 2007

The Real Genesis

As I've continued reading through the book of Genesis, something has really stuck out to me in a way much unlike a needle in a haystack. (Unless of course I had just taken a seat on the said needle in the haystack, at that point it would probably be a whole lot more noticeable.)

I don't think I ever noticed the ammount of corruption there is in the family of Jacob. I've read through Genesis at least two or three times before (in some of my attempts to read the bible cover to cover - which usually ended at Leviticus or Numbers). But I don't remember noticing it.

First of all, Jacob ends up taking two wives (though not all his fault - he was tricked). It isn't long before the double-marriage shows its toll as Leah and Rachel start fighting, because Jacob loves Rachel more, yet Leah is the one giving him sons. In the race for providing more sons than the other, they each give Jacob their maidservants so he can father more children.

Many years later, Jacob's children end up murdering an entire village, granted the reason they ended up doing this was a fairly major one, but that isn't an excuse for it at all.

It kind of makes it come as no surprise when they sell Joseph to the Egyptions later... its actually kind of a surprise that they do that instead of murdering Joseph like the villagers.


Yet through all this, God still remains faithful to the promise he gave Abraham. And it is through this bloodline that the ultimate fullfilments of God's promises are seen in a man.